Saturday, August 29, 2009

New Lao friends




Many of you have read the story of Peng in my book AS THE ROCK FLOWER BLOOMS. I am including here two pictures taken of him several years ago. He is still living for the Lord.







Now God has led me to some new Lao friends. I met them at the open air farmers market in Broken Arrow! We didn't get many tomatoes from our garden this year, so I took time to go to the farmers market and found some delicious tomatoes there, also peaches and okra.

I also found several Laotian families selling vegetables! I always look for Asians wherever I go, and I could tell right away these people were from Laos. They were very friendly when they heard I had lived in Laos years ago.

I have now given each family a small personal Bible tract in English. Some could still read Lao, so I copied a few pages from my Lao Bible and took them to the market this morning. They took the pages eagerly, praise God.

In August I wrote Peng's story in simple English as a children's book, so I gave that to Kat and also to a family that has five children. It will be interesting to hear their reaction when I see them next Thursday afternoon at the market. The story shows how Peng searched for God and found out about Jesus through John Davis years ago. Right away Peng put his trust in Jesus, believing Jesus was more powerful than the ancestor spirits he had served all his life.

The story shows how God protected Peng's rice fields because he didn't make a blood sacrifice to the spirits. When a storm flooded other people's fields, Peng's fields were not. Another time when pigs got loose and destroyed some fields, Peng's were not touched. This convinced the village people that Jesus had power over the spirits they had been serving. Several families turned to Jesus.

If you want to read this book in more detail, you might try to find it through Amazon.com sometime. If they don't have the book, try again in a month. Sometimes you can buy a copy for less than ten dollars. The book is now out of print, so Amazon.com is the only place you can find it. I haven't tried Ebay yet.

It is a blessing to be involved in reaching Laotian people for the Lord here in my area. If you see any Asian people in your neighborhood, just be friendly and ask them what country they are from. All Asians are friendly when you speak kindly to them. Let's not ignore this wonderful mission field that is right here in America.

Pray that Sai and his wife Yia, Bee and Chon, and Kat and her sisters will come to know and trust Jesus personally. The Lord Jesus can bring salvation, peace and joy into their lives.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Grandma and Grandpa,
    I enjoyed reading your experience about going to the farmer's market and meeting the Laos people...what a coincidence!
    Love,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete